Back to job listings
Location: Omaha, NE
Date Posted: 8/28/18
Type: Direct Hire
Mainframe Sr Systems Engineer
|The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for meeting business objectives by planning for and providing reliable, available, and secure infrastructure systems. This includes effectively executing processes such as tactical and strategic planning and architecture planning, installation, configuration management, utilization, capacity management, vendor and customer relationship management and problem resolution.
The candidate will support all aspects of IBM and ISV product installation, configuration, migration, documentation, trouble shooting, and continuing maintenance.
|Essential Job Functions:
- Analyzes, develops, modifies, installs, tests and maintains moderately complex z/OS and z/VM Operating Systems Software.
- Review and influence ongoing design, architecture, standards and methods for Operating Systems, Transactions Managers or Middleware installation.
- Participate in capacity planning and forecasting, system performance analysis and system tuning, Systems Life Cycle Management through monitoring, measuring, and maintaining Operating Systems, Transaction Managers, Enterprise Applications and Middleware software.
- Adhere to Change Management, Incident Management, and Configuration Management policies and procedures.
- Adhere to installation naming conventions in ISV software installation and maintenance activities.
- Manage and scale systems to meet business demands by providing a stable and secure infrastructure.
- Evaluates vendor supplied system software packages and make recommendations to IT management.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate security and privacy measures are implemented on technology solutions to protect Company data from intentional or accidental misuse.
Responsibilities and duties include oversight and performance of the following:
- Work collaboratively within the zSystem Team and its customers to maintain the production and test LPARS on the system.
- Install and/or participate with software management and installation. This would include installation and maintenance utilizing the IBM SMP/E product and non-SMPE installations as well.
- Identify the need for software upgrades and patches, as appropriate.
- Develops and modifies technical documentation to support operations and training.
- Strong knowledge of SMP/E, JCL, ISPF, TSO, CLIST/REXX.
- Working knowledge of AbendAid, XPEDITER, Fileaid, etc.
- Familiarity with monitoring tools such as Mainview, CMF, and Sysview.
- Maintain system software through the use of PTF/ APAR application, in accordance with standard change management practice and without unscheduled service outages.
- Knowledge of z/OS configuration, including configuration changes necessary in the course of software installation, and the HCD tool.
- Ability to perform software changes dynamically, if possible for any particular product.
- Plan and position mainframe environment for business continuity readiness and participate in disaster recovery exercises.
- Provide technical assistance to users and other company personnel.
- Provide support for Mainframe related problems; Identify and successfully troubleshoot problems.
- Perform system audits; Monitor capacity.
- Provide off-hours support for Mainframe related issues as required.
- Knowledge and experience with VTAM/TCPIP, JES2, Assembler, FTP, USS, ServerPac, DFDSS, and IPCS.
- Experience with CA Products CA-1, CA7, CA11, CA-MIM, CA-PDSMan, Librarian, ACF2, and others.
- Experience with JHS, VPS, Control-O, Control-M, Connect Direct, AbendAid, SAS, Syncsort, and others.
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume by clicking “Apply Now”.
Diversified Solutions was founded in 1997 and continues to provide responsive, innovative and effective solutions to the personnel needs of our client companies in the areas of executive recruitment and all aspects of IT Services. We employ well-qualified individuals with a high degree of integrity and professionalism who are well versed in the latest technology. We offer three different types of opportunities: consulting engagements, consulting with option-to-hire and permanent placements. We welcome you to experience the Diversified Solutions difference!
Share with a friend